Valentine’s Day recipes
Valentine's Day recipes
Looking for the perfect Valentine's Day gift idea? Nothing spells l-o-v-e quite like homemade treats. We introduce 2 aromatic recipes from Gourmet Traveller that are quick and simple to make.
Char-grilled quail with rose and pomegranate
Extracted from Gourmet Traveller. Recipe by Rodney Dunn, Photography by William Meppem. Recipe serves 2, 10 mins preperation.
1 garlic clove
3 tsp rose water, or to taste
2 tsplemon juice
½ tsp each: ground cinnamon and ground cumin
2 quail, halved lengthways
To serve: organic rose petals, pomegranate seeds and coarsely chopped pistachios
Rose and quince dressing:
35 gm quince paste, coarsely chopped.
30 ml rosewater, or to taste
1garlic clove, crushed
Pinch of ground cinnamon
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsplemon juice
- Pound garlic and a pinch of salt to a fine paste in a mortar and pestle.
Add rosewater, lemon juice and spices and stir to combine.
Place quail in a non-reactive bowl, pour over marinade, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to marinate (2 hours).
- For rose and quince dressing, whisk quince paste and rosewater in a small bowl until dissolved.
Whisk in garlic, cinnamon, olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat a char-grill or barbecue over high heat.
Remove quail from marinade, cook skin-side down until golden and crisp (3-4 minutes), then turn and cook until just cooked through (1-2 minutes).
Serve with rose and quince dressing, scattered with rose petals, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.
Desert: Raspberry fool with crystallised violets
Extracted from Gourmet Traveller. Recipe by Rodney Dunn, Photography by William Meppem. Recipe serves 2, 5 mins preperation.
125 gm (about 1 punnet) raspberries, plus extra to serve
1½ tbsp pure icing sugar
150 ml pouring cream
1 egg white
To serve: crystallised violets
- Place raspberries into a bowl, sprinkle over icing sugar and coarsely crush with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk cream to soft peaks.
- Whisk eggwhite in a bowl until soft peaks form, then fold in cream.
- Fold through raspberries, spoon into serving glasses and refrigerate until required.
- Serve scattered with extra whole raspberries and crystallised violets.